RUNNING DAD PROFILE:
NAME: Chris Shifflett
RESIDENCE: Winchester, VA
FAMILY: Married with 2 kids
OCCUPATION: IT Consultant
Why do you run?
There are many reasons
1) Improve my health and lose my gut
2) It gives me an opportunity to just do something non-thinking just keeping putting one foot in front of the other
3) It allows me to bring back my competitive spirit pushing for Personal Best times or to go farther than before.
How often do you run?
I shoot for 3 times a week.
What was the most recent race that you ran?
The most recent race I ran was the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival 10K on May 4, 2013.
What is your fondest running memory or experience?
I have 2.
1) Running down the Las Vegas Strip at night with everything lit up for the Rock-nroll Vegas Half Marathon
2) Getting attacked by a dog while I was running (It was a Chihuahua and it was dressed in a pink tutu. The mental image of that still cracks me up)
What are your running goals?
I would love to run a half in under 2 hours and eventually run a Marathon.
Do your kids run?
My kids are both interested. I need to start training them.
Have you found a balance between running and family and work?
It is really tough. At times I feel selfish setting the time aside away from the family. Most of the time it requires 5 am and lunchtime runs.
Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences you can share about how running affects your life?
I love how it gives me the ability to clear my head, to not think about any of the stresses of everyday life. I have learned though for me that you have to have a goal. If you don’t’ have a goal then it is too easy to stop training and let life get in the way. Whether it is committing to a race or just setting a personal goal I have to have some mechanism to keep myself accountable.